The BEST Vertical Jump Measuring Device
Prior to the launch of the TH1000 in July 2022 and the TH500 in January 2024, the best vertical jump measuring device was Vertec. For over 40 years, the Vertec was used by every trainer, combine, and Strength & Conditioning Coach.
The Vertec and the TH500 are both mechanical testers. They both move up and down and have plastic indicators the athletes hit. However, there are several differences between the products.
- Accuracy - The fundamental design flaw with the Vertec is the telescopic pole. Having a telescopic pole as your mounting system leads to inaccurate measurements as the pole is extended. The higher the measuring device is raised the more the pole leans causing the plastic indicators to not be level with the ground any longer. This results in inaccurate measurements. The untreated pole is also prone to corrosion, which makes it very difficult to raise and lower. The constant moving between the poles results in durability issues. The TH500 uses rigid mounting systems that simply hold the measuring device. This enables very accurate measurements. The measuring device is comprised of aluminum extrusions and plastic guides specifically designed for this application for durability.
- Durability and Robustness - The Vertec only measures in 1/2" increments and has very thin plastic indicators that the athlete hits when they jump. The TH500 measures in half inch increments, but our plastic has an engineered shape to reduce breakage and is 3/8" tall. So, it is much more durable and robust. Also, our best seller is the TH1000, which measures in one inch increments. The benefit of this is the plastic is 5/8" tall making it very difficult to break. The Vertec is painted red and the moving steel parts do not have a protective coating. So, corrosion is a major concern. Our steel mounting systems are all power coated and our measuring device is comprised of aluminum, plastic and stainless steel hardware.
- Mounting Systems - The Vertec is available with a floor stand or wall mount. The floor stand is comprised of a telescopic square tube, a counterweight, two leveling feet, and is painted red. The wall mount is a very heavy mount with one swivel joint and is also painted red. Our TH500 and TH1000 can be mounted anywhere, but we sell 4 different mounting options. All of our mounts are steel that are powder coated. Our floor stand has thick square tubing that bolts together to make a rigid structure. It has a built-in counterweight, wheels and 3 leveling feet so you can level in all directions. Our wall mount swivels at 3 locations allowing the TH500 and TH1000 to lay flat against the wall and fit inside a protective cover when not in use. There is also a basketball rim mount and an extender mount.
- Ease of Use - The Vertec is raised and lowered by moving the pole up and down. The operator then turns a bolt to hold it in place. This all takes place at chest height. The TH500 or TH1000 glides up and down using a separate pole, which threads into the bottom of the assembly when the operator is ready to use it. There are 3 positions and it automatically locks into place, which reduces operator error and simplifies the operation,
- Storage Location - The Vertec must be stored and mounted around chest height. This is to allow the operator to operate it. Unfortunately, when not in use the product is often damaged. The TH500 and TH1000 is stored 10 feet off the ground. There is also a protective cage for the wall mount system and a storage case for the measuring device.
- Math - The Vertec has etched lines and numbers on their telescopic pole. The operator takes that number and then adds that number to the number of plastic indicators moved to get both the standing reach and jump height. The TH500 and TH1000 have numbers on each indicator that represents the distance from the ground. When calculating the vertical jump height, simply subtract the standing reach number from the jump height number.
- Customized Colors - Vertec only offers their standard color. The Top Hopper stocks several colors and also allows customers to have custom colors.
Every Top Hopper customer loves our products!!!